Recipe: Creamy bacon & mushroom fettuccine
- 375g dried fettuccine pasta
- 1 bunch broccolini, cut into 5cm lengths
- 2 x 125g pkts Weight Watchers 98% fat free bacon, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 500g button mushrooms, halved
- 5g reduced-fat dairy spread
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 560ml (21/4 cups) skim milk
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra light thickened cream
- 30g (1/3 cup, lightly packed) coarsely grated Bega So-Light Vintage reduced-fat cheddar
- 2 tbs shredded parmesan
- Shaved parmesan, to serve
- Cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Add the broccolini in the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and mushroom and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a plate.
- Melt the spread in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until combined. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk in milk and cream until combined. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.
- Add the cheddar and shredded parmesan and stir until melted. Add the pasta mixture and the bacon mixture to the pan and stir until combined.
- Divide among serving bowls. Season with salt and pepper and top with shaved parmesan to serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)