Recipe: Herb and cheese scones with chive cream
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 50g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed herbs (such as oregano, rosemary and dill), finely chopped
- 1/3 cup grated light tasty cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1/3 cup natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 100g 97% fat-free shaved leg ham
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Add salt, cayenne pepper and pepper. Mix well to combine. Add butter. Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add herbs and cheese to flour mixture. Stir well to combine. Add milk. Mix with a flat-bladed knife until a soft dough forms. Knead lightly on a floured surface. Pat dough into a 2cm-thick round. Using a 5cm cutter, cut into 12 rounds. Place rounds close together on a baking tray.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until golden and well-risen. Set aside on baking tray to cool slightly.
- Combine yoghurt, chives and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Halve scones. Top 12 halves with shaved ham and chive mixture. Sandwich together with remaining scone halves. Serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)