Recipe: Herb & creme fraiche tarts with caviar
- 4 eggs, plus 1 extra yolk
- 2 tbs each finely chopped chervil , parsley and chives, plus extra chives to garnish
- 500ml creme fraiche, plus extra to serve
- Caviar to garnish
- 400g plain flour
- 200g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 eggs
- For pastry, whiz flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add eggs and 2 tbs iced water.
- Process until mix comes together in a ball. Divide in 2 portions, then enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour. Grease thirty 2cm-deep, 8cm diameter loose-bottomed tart pans (or patty pans).
- On a floured surface, roll dough to about 5mm thick. Use a 9cm pastry cutter to cut 30 rounds, then use to line pans. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place tart pans on 2 baking trays. Line tarts with baking paper, then fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove weights and paper, then bake for 2-3 minutes until golden and dry. Stir eggs, yolk, herbs and creme fraiche, in a bowl, season and stir to combine.
- Pour into tart shells and bake for 10 minutes or until set. Cool to room temperature.
- When ready to serve, top the tarts with extra creme fraiche and a little caviar, then garnish with extra chives.
Number of servings (yield): 30
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)