Recipe: Lamb & beetroot salad with goat’s cheese croutons
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, deseeded, cut into 4cm wedges
- 4 large single garlic cloves
- Olive oil spray
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh thyme leaves
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 small bunch beetroot, trimmed
- 1 small dinner roll, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs goat’s cheese
- 2 x 200g lamb eye of loin fillets
- 1/2 cup (125ml) fat-free French dressing
- 1-2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 100g mixed salad leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the pumpkin and garlic on a baking tray and spray with oil. Sprinkle over half of the thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the beetroot in foil and place on the tray with pumpkin and garlic. Roast for 35-40 minutes until tender. Lay the slices of bread onto a baking tray.
- Spread with the goat cheese and sprinkle with the remaining thyme. Spray lightly with oil. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- Preheat a chargrill pan over a medium-high heat. Spray the lamb with oil and season. Cook for 2 minutes each side, then transfer to a baking tray.
- Bake for a further 5-7 minutes or to your liking. Cover with foil and set aside for 5 minutes to rest before slicing. Peel the beetroot, cut into wedges.
- Peel garlic and place in a food processor with the dressing and lemon juice. Season. Process until smooth.
- Combine the pumpkin, beetroot, croutons, salad leaves, lamb and dressing to serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)