Recipe: Lemon and tarragon roasted chicken
- 1.8kg organic free-range chicken
- 1 lemon
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 bunch large Dutch carrots, trimmed, peeled
- 4 small parsnips, trimmed, peeled, cut in half lengthways
- 4 small leeks, trimmed
- 1kg small chat potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- 125g butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Rinse the chicken inside and out with cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Using your fingers, gently loosen the skin from the breast to form a pocket.
- Thinly slice half the lemon. Place 2 tarragon sprigs and 3-4 slices of lemon under the skin on each side of the chicken breast.
- Season well with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt flakes. Put the remaining lemon half and tarragon sprigs into the chicken cavity.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine and tuck the wings underneath the chicken. Place the vegetables in a large roasting pan.
- Add the oil and toss until well coated. Place a wire rack above the vegetables and put the chicken on top. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- To check if the chicken is cooked, pierce the thickest part of the thigh with a skewer and if the juices run clear, the chicken is ready.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Place the egg yolks, lemon juice and tarragon into a food processor. Process for 30 seconds or until combined.
- With the motor running, slowly add the warm melted butter until a thick, creamy sauce forms.
- Serve the chicken with the roasted vegetables and sauce.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)