Recipe: Meringue cake with rosewater cream
- 9 eggwhites
- 400g caster sugar
- 900ml thickened cream, lightly whipped
- 5 tbs (100ml) thick Greek yoghurt
- 150g icing sugar, sifted, plus extra to dust
- 5 tbs (100ml) rosewater
- 400g strawberries, halved
- 300g raspberries
- 150g blueberries
Sugared rose petals:
- 1 eggwhite
- 12-15 rose petals, pesticide-free
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- To make sugared rose petals, whisk eggwhite until loose. Dip each petal in eggwhite, drain well, then coat in a thin layer of sugar. Place on a tray lined with baking paper. Leave in a cool, dry, well-ventilated spot for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 120°C. Line 3 baking sheets with baking paper. Trace a 26cm circle on one, a 20cm circle on another, and a 13cm circle on the other.
- Beat eggwhites until stiff, add half the sugar, and beat to incorporate. Gradually add remaining sugar in a slow stream, beating until glossy. Spread meringue evenly on each circle to make 3 flat discs of equal thickness. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 100°C and bake for a further 1 1/4 hours or until crisp and dry, then cool (these can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container).
- Fold cream, yoghurt, icing sugar and rosewater together. To assemble, place large circle of meringue on serving plate, top with half the cream and half the berries. Top with medium circle and most of the remaining cream and the remaining berries. Add small circle, top with remaining cream, scatter with petals and dust with icing sugar.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)