Recipe: Pavlova torte
- 8 egg whites
- 430g (2 cups) caster sugar
- 1 tbs cornflour
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 480g (2 cups) 99 per cent fat free vanilla custard
- 2 x 150g ctns Vanilla Creme Fruche
- 4 gold kiwifruit, peeled, thinly sliced
- 8 strawberries, washed, hulled, halved
- 2 passionfruit, halved
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 3 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Draw a 22cm disc on each piece of paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy. Beat in the cornflour and vinegar.
- Spoon the meringue mixture evenly among the prepared discs and smooth the surfaces. Bake, swapping the trays halfway through cooking, for 35 minutes or until the meringues are crisp and dry. Turn oven off. Leave meringues in oven, with the door ajar, to cool completely.
- Place 1 meringue disc on a serving platter or cake stand. Spread half the custard over the centre, leaving a 2cm border. Repeat with another meringue disc and the remaining custard. Top with the remaining meringue disc. Spread with the Fruche. Arrange the kiwifruit and strawberries on top. Spoon over the passionfruit pulp to serve.
- Leave a border when adding the custard in step 4 – it will spread to the edge when topped with another meringue disc. You can prepare to the end of step 3 up to 1 day ahead. Layer between sheets of non-stick baking paper in an airtight container. Continue from step 4, 1 hour before serving. Variation: Banana pavlova torte: Replace the vanilla custard with banana custard and replace the strawberries with bananas, peeled, thickly sliced.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)