Recipe: Pea risotto with prawns
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves
- 500g green prawns, peeled, tails intact
- 8 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 firmly packed cup flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbs fresh tarragon leaves
- 300g arborio rice
- 150ml dry white wine
- 1.5L (6 cups) vegetable stock
- 2 1/2 cups (300g) frozen peas
- 50g unsalted butter
- 80g parmesan, plus extra to serve
- Combine 1 tbs oil, zest and juice in a bowl with 1 crushed garlic clove. Season, toss prawns in marinade, then refrigerate while you make the risotto.
- Whiz spring onion, spinach, parsley, tarragon and remaining garlic to a coarse paste in a food processor and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a deep frypan over medium heat. Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes. Add the wine and stir until absorbed.
- Add the stock a ladleful at a time, allowing each to be absorbed before adding the next. Continue, stirring, for 15-20 minutes until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is cooked but till firm to the bite.
- With the second-last ladle of stock, add peas and spinach mix. Once all stock is added, cook for 1 minute, then add butter and cheese.
- Remove from heat and cover to keep warm. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add prawns and marinade and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until opaque.
- Divide risotto and prawns among bowls and serve with extra parmesan.
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)