Recipe: Pea, zucchini & mint soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (about 300g) potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 375g (2 1/2 cups) frozen peas
- 2 (about 300g) zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 125g (1/2 cup) low-fat ricotta
- 2 tbs chopped fresh chives
- 8 slices crusty sourdough baguette (French bread stick), toasted
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the potato and water. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 8 minutes or until the potato is almost tender. Add the peas and zucchini, and simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Set aside to cool slightly. Stir in two-thirds of the mint. Blend half the vegetable mixture in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan.
- Repeat with the remaining vegetable mixture. Stir over medium heat until heated through. Season with pepper.
- Combine the ricotta, half the chives and remaining mint in a small bowl. Season with pepper. Ladle the soup among serving bowls.
- Top with remaining chives. Spread the ricotta mixture over the toast and serve with the soup.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)