Recipe: Plum meringue nests
- 1 tbs flaked almonds
- Olive oil, to grease
- 2 egg whites
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 x 125g ctns Nestle 98% Fat Free Blissful Mulberry Fromage Frais
- Icing sugar (optional), to serve
- 1 x 825g can whole plums
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 1 tbs kirsch
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Place almonds on a baking tray and bake for 12 minutes or until toasted and light golden. Brush a baking tray with oil to lightly grease.
- Line with non-stick baking paper. Using a plate as a guide, draw four 9cm-diameter discs on the baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Use a large spoon to fold in the cornflour, vinegar and cinnamon until well combined. Divide among the prepared discs and spread to edges.
- Make a slight indent in the centres. Bake for 35 minutes or until meringues are crisp and dry. Turn off oven.
- Leave the meringues in the oven, with the door ajar, for 1 hour to cool completely. Meanwhile, to make the plum sauce, drain the plums, reserving the juice.
- Transfer the plums to a bowl. Place cornflour and a little reserved plum juice in a bowl. Stir until a smooth paste forms. Stir in remaining reserved juice.
- Transfer to a saucepan. Add sugar. Place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in the kirsch and plums. Set aside to cool.
- Divide the meringues among serving plates. Spoon the fromage frais into the centre of each meringue.
- Top with the plums and drizzle over the syrup. Sprinkle with almonds and dust with icing sugar, if desired, to serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)