Recipe: Prawns & Asparagus With Basil Aioli
- 1.5kg (about 40) medium green prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- 5 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 2 lemons, rind finely grated, juiced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Olive oil spray
- Small basil leaves, to serve
- 170g (2/3 cup) 97 per cent fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs chopped fresh basil
- Place the prawns and asparagus in separate shallow glass or ceramic dishes. Whisk together the lemon rind, lemon juice and oil in a jug. Season with pepper.
- Divide among the dishes. Toss to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for 1-4 hours to marinate.
- Meanwhile, to make the basil aioli, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic and basil in a bowl. Season with pepper. For a thinner consistency, if desired, gradually add 1-2 tablespoons cold water, whisking until smooth and well combined.
- Drain the prawns. Thread, tail-end first, onto the skewers. Drain the asparagus. Preheat a chargrill or barbecue grill on high.
- Spray the prawns and asparagus with olive oil spray to lightly grease. Cook the prawns and asparagus on grill, turning once, for 5-6 minutes or until the prawns change colour and the asparagus is bright green and tender crisp.
- Divide the asparagus and prawn skewers among serving plates. Season with pepper. Drizzle over the basil aioli and top with the basil leaves to serve.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)