Recipe: Quick & Easy Paella
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp harissa
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (pimenton)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) Calasparra or arborio rice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 3 cups (750ml) gluten-free chicken stock
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- 2 x 190g jars roasted capsicum, drained, chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine chicken, garlic, zest, harissa, paprika and oil in a bowl. Place in fridge to marinate for 15 minutes. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add a little oil to pan if necessary, then add onion and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add rice, then stir for 1 minute to coat rice in onion mixture. Add the wine and allow to bubble for 2-3 minutes, then add stock and bring to the boil.
- Return chicken to the pan, season, then simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until rice is almost cooked and most of the stock is absorbed.
- Stir in peas, capsicum and olives. Cook for a further 2 minutes until rice is tender and all the stock is absorbed. Stir through parsley, then serve with lemon wedges.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)