Recipe: Roasted Fennel and baby carrots with quinoa
- 4 bulbs baby fennel
- 2 bunches Dutch (baby) carrots, trimmed, peeled
- 1 bulb garlic, cloves separated, unpeeled
- 6 sprigs lemon thyme
- 50g (1/4 cup) quinoa, (see note) rinsed, drained
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 75g soft goat’s cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 200C. Trim fennel stems to 2cm. Pick fronds from the trimmings, then discard the stems. Cut fennel bulbs into 1cm-thick slices, cutting lengthwise through the root end to keep slices intact.
- Place the fennel, carrots, garlic and thyme in a large roasting pan. Scatter with quinoa, drizzle with oil, then pour over 180ml (3/4 cup) water. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, turning halfway, or until the vegetables are tender and the quinoa is soft.
- Spoon onto a platter. Scatter with reserved fennel fronds and goat’s cheese. Serve at room temperature.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)