Recipe: Salmon and sweet potato patties
- 400g orange sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 415g can pink salmon, drained, bones removed, flaked
- 1/4 cup Thai chilli stir-fry paste (see note)
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- mixed green salad and lime wedges, to serve
Ginger lime mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup 97% fat-free mayonnaise
- 2cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 lime, juiced
- Place sweet potato and 1 tablespoon of cold water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high (100%) for 7 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool slightly. Mash roughly with a fork.
- Place salmon in a large bowl. Add chilli paste, green onions and mashed sweet potato. Mix well. Divide mixture into 8 portions. Shape each portion into a 2cm-thick patty. Beat eggs in a shallow bowl. Place flour and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes. Coat patties, 1 at a time, in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Place on a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes, if time permits.
- Make ginger lime mayonnaise: Combine mayonnaise, ginger and 1 tablespoon of lime juice in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Serve with ginger lime mayonnaise, salad and lime wedges.
- You could use sweet chilli sauce or tomato chutney instead of stir-fry paste.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)