Recipe: Smoked chicken & chilli pasta
- 300g dried wholemeal spaghetti pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6 shallots, pale section only, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 long fresh red chillies, halved, deseeded, finely chopped
- 400g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 200g smoked chicken breast, skin removed, coarsely shredded
- 60g (1/4 cup) 97% fat-free semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbs pitted kalamata olives in brine, halved, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- Cook the pasta in a saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain, reserving 60ml (1/4 cup) of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot, garlic and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli to the shallot mixture. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until the broccoli is bright green and tender crisp. Add the chicken, tomato and olive to the broccoli mixture.
- Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Add the broccoli mixture, parsley and a little reserved cooking liquid to the pasta, and toss until well combined.
- Season with pepper. Divide among serving bowls to serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)