Recipe: Spicy cornbread
- Melted butter, to grease
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large red capsicum, halved, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 170g (1 1/4 cups) gluten-free self-raising flour (Orgran brand)
- 140g (3/4 cup) cornmeal (polenta)
- 1 tsp baking powder (Ward’s brand)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 125g can corn kernels, drained, rinsed
- 1 tbspickled sliced jalapenos, drained, finely chopped
- 1 tbs fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 40g (2 tbs) butter, melted, cooled
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Brush an 8 x 21cm (base measurement) loaf pan with the melted butter to grease.
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add capsicum and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until capsicum is tender. Add cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the corn kernels, jalapenos, coriander and capsicum mixture, and stir until well combined. Add the buttermilk, melted butter and egg, and use a wooden spoon to mix until well combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and smooth surface with the back of a spoon. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)