Recipe: Sweet potato & lentil soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, sliced
- 1 kg sweet potato, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup (210g) Ward McKenzie red split lentils, washed
- 2 litres (8 cups) salt-reduced vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh oregano
- Freshly ground pepper
- Seed or wholegrain dinner rolls, warmed, to serve
- 2 tbs fat-free natural yoghurt
- Fresh sprigs oregano, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the leek and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the sweet potato, lentils and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Place the sweet potato mixture in a food processor and process until smooth. Return to the saucepan and add the oregano. Season with the pepper. Stir over a low heat until heated through.
- Serve with the warm rolls and top with yoghurt and a sprig of oregano.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)